.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Water “Generator” & Spending your money Wisely




Hi,
  Hope this email finds you well. I haven't been to your blog much recently- working a lot. I noticed you had a couple of posts about the water situation in Ohio I think it was.
I just wanted to pass this along in case you hadn't seen it. I have only seen this from ads, so I don't have any direct experience. But it seems interesting.


It is a machine that condenses drinking water from the air. It says it can do up to 8 gallons a day. I had seen ads for it before, and thought it seemed kind of impractical. But having seen several instances of now of communities having electricity, but no water, I am starting to wonder if it might be useful.
Thanks.
- Jason


Hey Jason, thanks for your email.
 The gadget in the link costs 1,600 USd, I found another one from the same company in Amazon that sells for 1,100 USd, but before anyone jump into buying a “water generator” lets think about this for a second.
 EcoloBlue 28 Atmospheric Water Generator
Whenever we spend our hard earned money we should always ask ourselves a few basic questions. The first one I usually ask myself is do I really need this. In terms of preparedness there are a few “essential” items. We all need water and food, sure enough. Buying a good gun, supplies, having a reliable vehicle and quality gear, it all makes sense.  We understand the essentials, the “must haves” but also the “nice to haves” and the “waste of money”.  I’m no water expert but I do know basic physics and to me “water generator” sounds like a sales gimmick. Maybe there’s some new technology that I’m not aware of but to me this sounds like a glorified air dehumidifier, which in Amazon costs around 224 bucks if you want to get a cheaper “water generator”, and many of you probably own one already. 

I think you should have water stored, as explained in previous posts, its readily available and you can store literally tons of it for free. I believe you should have a good filter, one like the one our sponsor the Berkey Guy sells would do nicely. I believe you should have bleach to make water safe to drink as well as back up. Now, buying a “water generator”? Again, maybe I’m missing the point, but to me it sounds like an awful waste of money. Money that could be better spent elsewhere, maybe having an actual water well dug, or just saving it up for a rainy day. Sixteen hundred bucks buys you a lot of peace of mind when things get tough, at the very least, putting it in gold and silver, or keeping it in cash, sounds like a better idea if you ask me.
We have to be smart about preparedness people. Not only how we spend our money, but how we spend our time as well. There’s so much junk floating around, the internet is full of fear mongering nonsense disguised as preparedness, just reading it is a waste of your precious time, at the very least, or in the worst case, its depressing and even downright harmful.
Be smart about how you spend your time, and money.
Take care folks,

FerFAL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was younger and more foolish with money I purchased a similar system. It was loud, never produced enough water and required constant maintenance. After about a year I unplugged it and put it in the garage. I replaced it with a high quality gravity filter and some water storage.

RPH said...

I wouldn't trust the berkley products. They had manufacture ring defects a few years ago and did not stand behind their product. I had bought several black elements and they started to come unglued. When I contacted the berkey guy he had me contact the manufacturer. They told me keep trying the ones I bought and they would replace the ones that fail. After they all failed over the next few months I called back and they told me they would only prorate the cost of replacing the elements. It took about 6 months for 3 years worth of elements to fail one after another. By that time the company had completely changed their tune from my original contact.

Reader1 said...

Hi, years ago I purchased an Ecoloblue. It sounds good in theory, and it works, but it requires a lot of maintenance. It works like a dehumidifier, but there is a constant threat of mold and algae in the wet, dark inner workings, which is part of why they tell you not to drink dehumidifier water. You constantly have to replace filters, hoses, and clean and disinfect everything. If you don't the water gets nasty.
A Berkey 2.5 gal with 4 black filters and 4 post filters has been a much better investment.

Plus, the Ecoloblue requires power and a constant supply of spare parts.